How do I enter a story or novella from an anthology?
You will send us the entire anthology, renaming the file to reflect the individual story you are entering. The judges will only read the work indicated by the filename. Your upload form should reflect the name of the story, not the entire anthology.
Example one: You have a 10,000 word romance story in an anthology called Stories from the Wild West. The title of the story is The Virgin Schoolteacher. The length would require this work to be entered in the Romance Short Works (RS) category. The filename should be RS-TheVirginSchoolteacher.
Example two: You have a 23,000 fiction mystery novella in the anthology Gumshoe Diaries. Because the word count falls between 20,000 (the maximum for Short Works) and 30,000 (the minimum for the novel-length categories), you have the choice of entering this novella in either the Fiction Short Works category (FS) or the Mystery category (F06). So if your novella is titled A Bad Day for Bill, and you decided to put it in the Fiction Short Works category, your file should be named FS-ABadDayForBill. If you decided to put it in the mystery category, your filename would be F06-ABadDayforBill.
Remember, you will send us the entire anthology. If you are entering more than one story from an anthology, you will submit each story separately. Yeah, a separate copy of the entire anthology for each story entered. Each story that is entered must have its own file. We understand that means that we may receive an anthology numerous times.
Why can't we just use the same anthology for several stories? Because the filenames have to reflect the title the judges are to read. Several judges may be assigned to the stories entered from a single anthology. The various stories may be entered in all kinds of categories and separate files for each entered story will assist the Judge Coordinator in assigning the entries to judges.
In the word count field, enter the count for the story you are entering, not the word count for the entire enthology.
How do I complete the upload form?
Take care in entering the information. Pay attention to what each field requires.
eMail fields require valid email format: me @ mydomain.com, or net, or whatever.
URL fields require a valid URL. Copy and paste works really well.
- PayPal Transaction ID is included the upload instructions email. Copy and paste the ID into the field. The ID can only be used once. If you have paid for two entries, make sure you have completed both entry sections before you click on "Submit."
- Publishing Company means the name of the company. If you are Self-published, enter that in the field.
- Publisher's email address can be the email of anyone who can answer questions regarding your entry. If you are Self-published, put in your email address.
- The Buy Now link is where the book can be purchased. The URL link must go directly to the book whether on the publisher's website or other vendor. The publisher's homepage (www.mypublisher.com) is not sufficient.
- In the Category field, select one category from the dropdown.
- In the Word-count field, type in the word-count of the work to the closest 500. For example, a book that contains 45,789 words, enter 46,000. For a story an entry that's has 15,425, enter 15,500.
- Sexual Heat, Explicit Language, Excessive Violence, Religious Content: These items require you to slide the little yellow (or orange, depending on your browser) button to indicate the level of each indicator for your entry. You can also click on the line to move the button.
- Please read the note under the field. The minimum is 1. You must move the slider at least one place to the right.
- File Upload: Click on "Browse." Your computer will display the File Manager. Find the book. Check the filename!!!!! See "How do I rename my entry file?" in the FAQ list for the correct format.
Type in the Spam Check text.
- Click on the file.
- Click "Open."
- The File Manager will go away. You will now be back on the upload form.
- Check the field in front of "Browse." You should see the entire pathway necessary for the file to be located and uploaded. It will look something like C://Documents/mybooks/F01-mybook.pdf.
- If your file is not named correctly, your entry will be disqualified.
- Repeat the above for Entry Two, if you paid for two.
- Click "Submit."
If your form has valid information--at least as far as the system knows--your entry will be uploaded and your information will be added to our records. You will get a notice at the top of the webpage that your entry was received. You will also receive a confirmation email at the address you provided.
What do I do if my book is not sold in non-DRM PDF?
All you need to do is get your publisher to send you a non-DRM copy. You can assure the publisher that this copy will not be used for anything other than judging in this competition. Our judges will discard all the entries they receive once they have submitted their scores. The entries will not be further distributed. That's a promise!
If you can't get a non-DRM PDF from your publisher, you can convert a .doc, .epub, .mobi, or other format to .pdf using a free conversion program such as Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/). This program has been used successfully by many people and it's pretty easy to use. If you convert your file yourself, let us know so we'll be aware of any issues that may arise from the conversion.
Please note: The content of the book must be the same as the content of the book which is for sale to the public.